Oral and Maxillofacial surgery is a branch of surgery to correct a wide spectrum of diseases, injuries and defects in the head, neck, face, jaws and the hard and soft tissues of the oral and maxillofacial region. It is a recognized international surgical specialty and it is one of the nine specialties of dentistry.
Treatments performed by maxillofacial surgeons include:
1. Dentoalveolar surgery (surgery to remove impacted teeth, difficult tooth extractions, extractions on medically compromised patients, bone grafting or preprosthetic surgery to provide better anatomy for the placement of implants, dentures, or other dental prostheses)
2. Diagnosis and treatment of benign pathology, cysts, tumors etc.
3. Diagnosis and treatment of congenital craniofacial malformations such as cleft lip and palate and cranial vault malformations such as craniosynostosis, (craniofacial surgery)
4. Diagnosis and treatment of soft and hard tissue trauma of the oral and maxillofacial
region (jaw fractures, cheek bone fractures, nasal fractures, LeFort fracture, skull
fractures and eye socket fractures).
5. Diagnosis and treatment of chronic facial pain disorders.
6. Diagnosis and treatment of temporomandibular joint (TMJ) disorders.
7. Cosmetic surgery limited to the head and neck: (rhytidectomy/facelift, browlift/blepharoplasty, otoplasty, rhinoplasty, septoplasty, cheek augmentation, chin augmentation, genioplasty, neck liposuction, lip enhancement, injectable cosmetic treatments, botox, chemical peel etc.)